5/12/2008

Life Across the Country

Our furniture and boxes were loaded onto a moving truck outside our Brooklyn apartment on March 25th. They didn’t arrive at our new apartment in San Francisco until Saturday, April 12th. One month later, only 12 boxes are not unpacked and the place is shaping up nicely. (And you're right sooprgrrl, we have great natural light.)

Here are some pictures of our apartment....

This (following two pics) is our living room, and although you can't tell from the first picture, all those books are in categories and almost all are in alphabetical order by author name.





This is our cute dining room. This is where we eat our dinner and where I put my computer during the day to look for jobs and read your blogs.




Here are a few notes about our neighborhood. It’s very nice and very clean. The houses are all well maintained, lots of people seem to have dogs and kids. There is a huge Catholic church (and school and convent) two blocks away. They have bells that play every day at 7:20 (a.m.!), 8:50, noon, and 6:00 p.m. as far as I can tell. On Sundays though, all bets are off. I can’t figure out when they play. My guess is they play at the end of mass and therefore do not have a set time. So that’s the nice part of having the church right behind our house. The bad part – huge glowing church steeple and cross at night blazing through all the bedroom windows. The bells are beautiful; the steeple – a little tacky.

The weather is weird. All of you who are picturing me sunning myself in my tank top and sandals have the wrong picture indeed. It is very windy and mostly cold. And I don't mean breezy. It is not breezy here. It's windy — like can't wear your hair down 'cause it blows around your neck and chokes you and flies into your mouth and eyes. It's windy. And it's cold — not winter-coat cold, but sweater or jacket and always pants and almost always long sleeves. I have the heater set at about 62 degrees and it comes on every night.

There have been about three days that have been beautiful. I wore my flip-flops once and short sleeves maybe twice. This morning, I walked Brian to the train in jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a sweater. I pulled my hands into the sleeves of my shirt to keep them warm. It's sunny though — almost every day. It's only rained once and that was really only a sprinkle. Some days start or end foggy or cloudy, but for most of the day I need sun glasses.

This week I definitely need to find a job of some kind. Housewifing is fun for a few days as you plan and cook meals and arrange your house, but then it gets kind of lonely and isolating. So this week, I have big plans for human interaction.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see the green chair! Almost as good as if you'd given it to me when you moved. xx

2:29 PM  
Blogger Rob And Son said...

Love the new place...can't wait to come visit!

12:22 PM  
Blogger sooprgrll said...

wow! your place is awesome! and what fun with two(!) recent posts. you will find a job soon, have no fear. miss you.

8:09 PM  
Blogger The Wifest said...

I have a job interview today at 10:30 PST. It's a little tricky to try to dress professionally and not have my huge baby gut hanging out. (My gut is definitely bigger than last week when I took the second picture.) Wish me luck.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did the interview go? What kind of job?

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sam B. said...

The librarian approves most enthusiastically of your book organization... and hope your interview went well! Hi to brian - Gail and I thought about you guys this weekend at the Collins reunion!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your place looks great!!! Looks like you are all settled in! I'll be praying as you search for a job...I know someone will snatch you up soon! Good luck!

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live across the street from a church, we've been enduring the bells for 4 years now. You'll get pretty used to it, except for when you're watching the episode of "Who's the Boss" you missed the first time it aired and you can't hear what sassy thing Mona just said. That always sucks.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home