1/13/2007

Happy Birthday To Me


Me being stabbed through the heart by a pirate


Last Monday was my Birthday — January 8th. I am twenty-seven. David Bowie, who shares my birthday, turned 60. And Elvis also got a year older, but since he's probably dead, we don't need to keep track of his age.

Husband's birthday was also last week on Wednesday the 10th. It's kind of a nice set up because it easily becomes a whole week of birthday celebration, a whole week of going out to dinner with friends, seeing movies, going shopping, getting presents, and drinking champagne. Last week we saw Notes on a Scandal and six short films by a self-taught animator named Brent Green. I bought myself two new knitting books and some new clothes. We had dinner out a few times and drank Sofia Coppola champagne.

My birthday comes at a good time of year for another reason. It is exactly one week after New Year's Day. I like the idea of New Year's resolutions a lot and having the new calendar year fall so closely to a new year of life makes New Year's resolutions a little less arbitrary. It feels that way anyway. I can say, "These resolutions are not only things that I would like to improve or change about myself in 2007 but also things that I would like to change and improve for my twenty-eighth year of life.

Last year I made two big resolutions. I became a vegetarian and I decided not to buy any clothes. Small exceptions were made at the beginning of the year for Thanksgiving dinner, socks and underwear, and a few other things. I did a good job keeping these resolutions, but they were really hard — the not buying clothes more than the not eating meat. This year I have a few different ideas, and inspired by Best Friend, I'll list a few of my plans for 2007 betterment.

1. Always have a bottle of wine in the house (which naturally leads to drinking more wine, and although drinking more wine is not a resolution, I'm not against it.)

2. Learn to sew. I know the basics but I'd like to be better and do it more often. I've already taken strides toward this one. I bought a fun intruction book and have finished three projects already this year. I've also already broken a needle on my sewing machine.

3. Go to Europe with Brian. This September will be our fifth wedding anniversary. We think a big trip could be a fitting way to celebrate.

4. Write more often. I'd like to blog once a week and finish my Choose Your Own Adventure book. I'd like to have something published somewhere.

5. I'd like to teach my dog to do at least five new tricks this year. Maybe I can document them for you here on the blog.

6. I'd like to make a movie with Brian and our amazing new video camera or maybe a couple movies.

There are a few others of a more personal nature that I have no desire to share in such a public venue. I'll monitor my own success on those goals.

I hope that 2007 is treating you well so far. Please feel free to share your resolutions if you made any this year. And if you have any tips on how to stop popping your knuckles, please share those too.

3 Comments:

Blogger activated charcoal said...

Hey! Did you get the NaNo mail about "Year We Will Be Trying Big, Fun, Scary Things Together"?

k

1:00 PM  
Blogger The Wifest said...

I just read the email and then checked out some lists of "Big Fun Scary Things" and they are mostly lame. My list is nothing special but I then again I just called them "some things that I'd like to do in 2007" so there doesn't need to be anything particularly big, fun, or scary about them.

Some people want to learn a new language and someone wanted to jump out of a plane. I can respect those.

4:20 PM  
Blogger activated charcoal said...

I haven't looked at the actual lists, but I like the idea.

I think I'd like to kayak the Gowanus.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home