6/20/2008

Mo Catches Flies

We don't have screens on our windows. But we do keep the windows open frequently. Naturally we get some flies in the house. Now nobody likes flies in the house — they're kinda gross and noisy if they're the big black kind, and you know, they carry diseases and throw up on your food so they can digest it. So it's not the most fun thing to have flies zipping around your house all the time.

But my amazing dog is a fly-catcher. It's unbelievable. Without having been taught or encouraged, Mo tracks, traps, and eats houseflies. She gets excited and jumps up on window sills and follows the fly's intricate moves with her head and then smashes her muzzle into the window and comes away chewing. Who knew?



This past Saturday, Husband and I went for a nice long walk down to a stretch of road that is filled with Asian markets, Asian food, etc. Husband wanted dim sum. I kind of wanted a donut, but what else is new? These days I pretty much always want donuts. I try not to go crazy allowing myself to constantly eat deep fried bleached flour and sugar. (But there was one day when the train stopped in front of a donut shop and I grabbed Husband's arm and we jumped off. We caught the next train while I was eating my cinnamon twist.) So dim sum was a better choice.

I'm not the biggest dim sum fan. I've only had it a few times though. Husband's brother loves it and we always go with him when he visits. And it's always fun because he loves it so much and has such a good time. But as far as the food goes, I'm always kind of thinking, "Where are the egg rolls and fried rice?" or "What's with all the sweet dough wrapped around pork and seafood?" But it's growing on me.

So on Saturday we got some takeout dim sum — pork buns, pot stickers, and shu mai — then walked over to the park (one block away) and had an impromptu picnic.



Yes, this picture was taken on June 14th. And yes, I'm wearing a sweatshirt. This is what I wear every day, because this is what the weather is like in California. And it never changes. The grass is all brown because we are having a drought. They will be rationing water soon. All of our rain is falling in the midwest, evidently. Don't blame me, I voted for Gore.

My mom requested more pictures of my belly. She wants to get used to seeing me pregnant before she comes out here at the end of August and has a heart attack from seeing her baby great with child. So here is me today, mom — the beginning of week 24. Sixteen weeks to go.

10 Comments:

Blogger fantasy weather league said...

Bastian does the fly catching thing too- usually in the summer I come home and find him staring intently at the center of room, and then he snaps and runs off, ignoring me, his beloved master, completely.

Your belly is super cute, I really want to rub it.

Is the beginning of August too late to visit? When are you due?

8:08 PM  
Blogger fantasy weather league said...

Also, for as much as you worried about it, you are super-not-fat.

You and Pearl, I swear.

Nice rack tho.

8:10 PM  
Blogger The Wifest said...

Thanks, Jen, for noticing that my belly is not the part of my body out growing my clothes.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Rob And Son said...

You look amazing...I want to rub your belly too! Tell Donamiche we love him here in NYC! (spelled that wrong but what a perfect name for baby boy mcmullen...brian already has a song for him too!)
x

7:19 AM  
Blogger sooprgrll said...

you look amazing!! I'm so sad that I will have to rub some other belly and pretend it's yours. good work Mo and hello to B.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weatherwise, the last two weeks have been remarkably inconsistent.

Most of last week was super sunny and hot. On Wednesday or Thursday -- I forget which -- I made a point to walk in the shade, because walking in the sunshine was agressively unpleasant.

Today it's totally sweatshirt weather. I'd run to the sunny side of the street if I were outside. The coldest it's been in a couple weeks, I'd say.

Two weeks ago it was notably hot for two days and mild the rest of the time.

1:51 PM  
Blogger thisisntjimmy said...

So that's why the wife was rubbing my belly...

Did Jen try calling dibs on naming your baby?

The weather sounds perfect to me.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Abbi Crutchfield said...

This is an exciting summer! Cathy Bachman's on baby #3, Pearl is about to pop, Amy Honmyhr had Henri, and Luke's nephew's daughter was born around Father's Day. My ovaries escaped in a blue Cadillac to Vegas.

Miss you, and glad to see you look so healthy!

PS:Don Ameche, of Cocoon fame?

4:02 PM  
Blogger activated charcoal said...

I tried... but Brian says he called it 2 years ago.

Guess that's the way the dibs roll.

(How about Adolf Susquehanna Calhoun?)

6:57 PM  
Blogger The Wifest said...

With Brian calling dibs, we'll end up calling the kid Lochinvar. Luckily "dibs" has a sub clause that states: (Kohli commit this rule to memory) if you are the one who squeezes the baby out of your body you have veto power over any name and can only be overruled by a 4/5 majority. This is a good rule.

Abbi check out the Don Ameche reference here.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home